Thousands of spectators crowded into Scripps Park at La Jolla Cove to watch yesterday’s 4th of July fireworks show. A local tradition for nearly 25 years, the spectacular display is sponsored by the La Jolla Fireworks Foundation, which is supported by La Jolla Cove Suites among other patrons. La Jolla Cove Suites guests had front row seats to the show from their private oceanfront balconies. We also offered a DJ, dancing, cash bar, and unparalleled views of the show from our oceanfront rooftop, as shown in these photos. We wish to thank all of our guests who chose to celebrate the 4th of July at La Jolla Cove Suites. And we wish a very Happy Birthday to the United States of America!
They say the best things in life are free. Here are 20 summer activities favored by our savvy travelers. Be sure to check for schedule changes, if applicable, before you head out:
- See the La Jolla Fireworks on the 4th of July at La Jolla Cove’s Scripps Park (or avoid the crowds and get the best view of the show from La Jolla Cove Suites’ private rooftop, featuring DJ and cash bar, just $25 for adults and $15 for kids)
- Enjoy La Jolla Cove, San Diego’s best spot for swimming, diving and snorkeling the underwater Marine Sanctuary
- Fly a kite or have a picnic at Scripps Park, immediately in front of the hotel
- Visit the harbor seals at La Jolla’s Children’s Pool and the sea lions along the rocky shore of La Jolla Cove
- Stay and play at La Jolla Cove Suites’ chlorine-free, saltwater pool
- Watch for the seagull eggs hatching soon along the cliffs of La Jolla
- Explore La Jolla’s Tide Pools at Shell Beach
- Visit the Mount Soledad Veterans’ Memorial and its panoramic views
- Hike Torrey Pines State Reserve with its breathtaking coastal views
- Boogey board, build sand castles, or roast s’mores in the fire pits at La Jolla Shores
- Surf or skim board at La Jolla’s Windansea Beach
- View UC San Diego’s Stuart Collection of Outdoor Art
- Play at the La Jolla Recreation Center
- Enjoy live music around the village, art gallery receptions and exhibits, dining specials, shopping deals and even prizes at Haute La Jolla Nights on July 27 and August 17 from 6-9 p.m.
- Listen or dance to La Jolla Concerts by the Sea, held on Sundays at 2-4 p.m. from July through September at Scripps Park, right in front of our hotel
- Take an architectural tour of the SALK Institute
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art La Jolla on July 18 and August 15 at 5-7 p.m.
- Hunt for the Murals of La Jolla
- Join classes, concerts, movies, book clubs and more the La Jolla Riford Library
- Browse the multitude of La Jolla art galleries in the village
A sure sign of summer, the San Diego Junior Lifeguards spent Monday training at Scripps Park in front of La Jolla Cove Suites. The whole city is proud of this rigorous lifeguarding program, which teaches our youth beach safety, ocean and wave education, area familiarity, first aid and CPR, water rescue techniques, and fitness. Despite the physical and mental demands of the program, each summer session is in hot demand and fills up within hours of its posting. Every session culminates in an (optional) jump off of the Ocean Beach Pier, which always makes local news. Way to go, Kids, we are so proud of you!
Students from La Jolla’s Muirlands Middle School frolic in front of La Jolla Cove Suites at a picnic to celebrate the end of the school year. They enjoyed perfect summer weather, blue skies, and picturesque rolling surf. Today marks the last day of the school year for 132,000 students of the San Diego Unified School District, which includes La Jolla. These kids do have a problem, though: Where do they go on vacation when they could just stay and enjoy a summer in La Jolla? Have a great summer, kids!
La Jolla Cove Suites has two new additions to its family. Kittens Cleo II (named after our precious Cleo, the original hotel kitty) and Cornelius were rescued and adopted on Friday, June 7th, from the San Diego Humane Society. They are distractingly adorable, 8-week-old, grey tabbies. They certainly act like brother and sister, but are actually from two different litters. Currently hard at work exploring the Executive Office and the Sales office, their favorite activities are playing chase and hide and seek. Once they acclimate to their surroundings, they will be available to meet and greet our guests, so be sure to look for them.
La Jolla Cove Suites proudly hosted the project launch of Defensor Security’s GI-JOBS. It is a living documentary intended to promote the hiring of U.S. Veterans within the security industry. Defensor Security courts returning, aged and handicapped veterans for employment, due to their work ethic, reliability and discipline. Its GI-JOBS Project encourages other companies to do so, as well. Thank you, Defensor Security, for choosing us to kick off this important work. We can’t wait to see your program air.
La Jolla Cove Suites was the site of Sunday’s beautiful wedding ceremony and reception. The couple chose a clean, classic look of silver and white for their reception tables, each accented with brightly colored centerpieces for a pop of spring color. The centerpieces were ringed with a thick band of teal blue ribbon that smartly tied in the azure backdrop of ocean and sky, as well as the hotel’s signature color.
The wedding ceremony featured a photo booth from The Abbey Catering, as well as trunks full of photo props, and a photo album for guests to leave the second copy of their picture strip for the bride and groom. We’re sure the couple delighted in taking the album with them at the end of the night for an immediate glimpse of some of the wedding fun.
The couple affixed to the Solarium window a large shuangxi, the Chinese character for Double Happiness, which is used in Chinese weddings to symbolize love, happiness, luck and a harmonious life together. We at La Jolla Cove Suites certainly wish the two of you all of that and more! Thank you for celebrating your special day with us.
Congratulations to Kelly and Kevin, who were just married on Saturday at Cuvier Park, the cozy oceanfront site commonly referred to as “The Wedding Bowl” in La Jolla. Their intimate reception was held on the rooftop of La Jolla Cove Suites in perfect weather, and it featured a spectacular view of the La Jolla Cove, coastline and the dreamy, blue ocean. We wish the two of them a lifetime of health, wealth, happiness and love.