Thousands of spectators crowded into Scripps Park at La Jolla Cove to watch yesterday’s 4th of July fireworks show. A local tradition for nearly 25 years, the spectacular display is sponsored by the La Jolla Fireworks Foundation, which is supported by La Jolla Cove Suites among other patrons. La Jolla Cove Suites guests had front row seats to the show from their private oceanfront balconies. We also offered a DJ, dancing, cash bar, and unparalleled views of the show from our oceanfront rooftop, as shown in these photos. We wish to thank all of our guests who chose to celebrate the 4th of July at La Jolla Cove Suites. And we wish a very Happy Birthday to the United States of America!
They say the best things in life are free. Here are 20 summer activities favored by our savvy travelers. Be sure to check for schedule changes, if applicable, before you head out:
- See the La Jolla Fireworks on the 4th of July at La Jolla Cove’s Scripps Park (or avoid the crowds and get the best view of the show from La Jolla Cove Suites’ private rooftop, featuring DJ and cash bar, just $25 for adults and $15 for kids)
- Enjoy La Jolla Cove, San Diego’s best spot for swimming, diving and snorkeling the underwater Marine Sanctuary
- Fly a kite or have a picnic at Scripps Park, immediately in front of the hotel
- Visit the harbor seals at La Jolla’s Children’s Pool and the sea lions along the rocky shore of La Jolla Cove
- Stay and play at La Jolla Cove Suites’ chlorine-free, saltwater pool
- Watch for the seagull eggs hatching soon along the cliffs of La Jolla
- Explore La Jolla’s Tide Pools at Shell Beach
- Visit the Mount Soledad Veterans’ Memorial and its panoramic views
- Hike Torrey Pines State Reserve with its breathtaking coastal views
- Boogey board, build sand castles, or roast s’mores in the fire pits at La Jolla Shores
- Surf or skim board at La Jolla’s Windansea Beach
- View UC San Diego’s Stuart Collection of Outdoor Art
- Play at the La Jolla Recreation Center
- Enjoy live music around the village, art gallery receptions and exhibits, dining specials, shopping deals and even prizes at Haute La Jolla Nights on July 27 and August 17 from 6-9 p.m.
- Listen or dance to La Jolla Concerts by the Sea, held on Sundays at 2-4 p.m. from July through September at Scripps Park, right in front of our hotel
- Take an architectural tour of the SALK Institute
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art La Jolla on July 18 and August 15 at 5-7 p.m.
- Hunt for the Murals of La Jolla
- Join classes, concerts, movies, book clubs and more the La Jolla Riford Library
- Browse the multitude of La Jolla art galleries in the village
A sure sign of summer, the San Diego Junior Lifeguards spent Monday training at Scripps Park in front of La Jolla Cove Suites. The whole city is proud of this rigorous lifeguarding program, which teaches our youth beach safety, ocean and wave education, area familiarity, first aid and CPR, water rescue techniques, and fitness. Despite the physical and mental demands of the program, each summer session is in hot demand and fills up within hours of its posting. Every session culminates in an (optional) jump off of the Ocean Beach Pier, which always makes local news. Way to go, Kids, we are so proud of you!
La Jolla Cove Suites was privileged to host the Sisters in Christ prayer and study intensive over the weekend. They held their study sessions in our newly renovated conference room, which includes kitchen facilities, a private restroom, and an oceanfront patio. Dinners were held in our rooftop solarium. The ladies stayed in our oceanfront suites and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast on the oceanfront rooftop deck. We truly hope our site was the perfect venue for your study and spiritual reflection.
Our adorable new La Jolla Cove Suites kitties – Cleo and Cornelius – had their first check-up this week. They received their booster vaccines and new kitty kits. They were good little patients while they were weighed and measured. Then they explored the exam room, where Cleo started and Cornelius finished taking all of the paper towels out of the paper towel dispenser. Of course, we’re very proud to see this early sign of teamwork. Good kitties!
Get writing, people! Nominations for San Diego Magazine’s Woman of the Year are due no later than July 15. This year’s theme is Women Who Move the City. We nominated La Jolla Cove Suites’ Owner and General Manager, Krista Baroudi, for this award last year. She claims it was “the biggest honor, because the nomination came from my staff.” She encourages others in the community to honor the many women she sees who make a difference in our city every day. Nomination details are here.
San Diego knows how to honor dads on Father’s Day. Here are 25 ideas for things to do over Father’s Day weekend. Be sure to confirm dates, times and availability before you head out. Happy Father’s Day!
- Catch a Padres game at PETCO Park
- Play a round of golf at Torrey Pines Golf Course
- Watch the San Diego Sea Lions Soccer Team
- Hike Torrey Pines State Reserve
- Father’s Day Brunch with Shamu
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park Father’s Day Buffet
- Explore San Diego coastal habitat at the Living Coast Discovery Center
- Explore our ocean habitat at Birch Aquarium in La Jolla
- See a Surf Dog Competition at Coronado Beach
- Visit the USS Midway or the Maritime Museum
- Tour the harbor on an America’s Cup racing yacht
- Father’s Day brunch cruise on a Hornblower Yacht
- Tour some local microbreweries
- Father’s Day at Donovans La Jolla
- Father’s Day Wine and Food Walking Tour of La Jolla
- Family Festival Day at the Spreckels Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park
- Take in a show at the La Jolla Playhouse
- Visit the San Diego County Fair
- San Diego Father’s Day Fest and Walk at Qualcomm Stadium
- Do the Philip Rivers 5K Walk & Fun Run at Liberty Station in Point Loma
- Go hang gliding or parasailing at the Torrey Pines Gliderport
- Take a surfing lesson at La Jolla Shores
- Rent a jet ski on Mission Bay
- Go sky diving
- Ride in a hot air balloon
Students from La Jolla’s Muirlands Middle School frolic in front of La Jolla Cove Suites at a picnic to celebrate the end of the school year. They enjoyed perfect summer weather, blue skies, and picturesque rolling surf. Today marks the last day of the school year for 132,000 students of the San Diego Unified School District, which includes La Jolla. These kids do have a problem, though: Where do they go on vacation when they could just stay and enjoy a summer in La Jolla? Have a great summer, kids!
La Jolla Cove Suites has two new additions to its family. Kittens Cleo II (named after our precious Cleo, the original hotel kitty) and Cornelius were rescued and adopted on Friday, June 7th, from the San Diego Humane Society. They are distractingly adorable, 8-week-old, grey tabbies. They certainly act like brother and sister, but are actually from two different litters. Currently hard at work exploring the Executive Office and the Sales office, their favorite activities are playing chase and hide and seek. Once they acclimate to their surroundings, they will be available to meet and greet our guests, so be sure to look for them.