Theo and the Zydeco Patrol turned La Jolla Cove into a backwoods, bayou bash with its infectious Cajun crooning at yesterday’s La Jolla Concert By the Sea. The San Diego-based band got the crowd dancing and craving crawfish etouffee, shrimp gumbo, beignets from Café du Monde … but we digress. Our guests enjoyed the foot-stomping concert from the comfort of their private oceanfront balconies. La Jolla Cove Suites gave away another free overnight in a suite! You’ll have another chance to win next week, when you sign up at the park.
They say the best things in life are free. Here are 20 summer activities favored by our savvy travelers. Be sure to check for schedule changes, if applicable, before you head out:
- See the La Jolla Fireworks on the 4th of July at La Jolla Cove’s Scripps Park (or avoid the crowds and get the best view of the show from La Jolla Cove Suites’ private rooftop, featuring DJ and cash bar, just $25 for adults and $15 for kids)
- Enjoy La Jolla Cove, San Diego’s best spot for swimming, diving and snorkeling the underwater Marine Sanctuary
- Fly a kite or have a picnic at Scripps Park, immediately in front of the hotel
- Visit the harbor seals at La Jolla’s Children’s Pool and the sea lions along the rocky shore of La Jolla Cove
- Stay and play at La Jolla Cove Suites’ chlorine-free, saltwater pool
- Watch for the seagull eggs hatching soon along the cliffs of La Jolla
- Explore La Jolla’s Tide Pools at Shell Beach
- Visit the Mount Soledad Veterans’ Memorial and its panoramic views
- Hike Torrey Pines State Reserve with its breathtaking coastal views
- Boogey board, build sand castles, or roast s’mores in the fire pits at La Jolla Shores
- Surf or skim board at La Jolla’s Windansea Beach
- View UC San Diego’s Stuart Collection of Outdoor Art
- Play at the La Jolla Recreation Center
- Enjoy live music around the village, art gallery receptions and exhibits, dining specials, shopping deals and even prizes at Haute La Jolla Nights on July 27 and August 17 from 6-9 p.m.
- Listen or dance to La Jolla Concerts by the Sea, held on Sundays at 2-4 p.m. from July through September at Scripps Park, right in front of our hotel
- Take an architectural tour of the SALK Institute
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art La Jolla on July 18 and August 15 at 5-7 p.m.
- Hunt for the Murals of La Jolla
- Join classes, concerts, movies, book clubs and more the La Jolla Riford Library
- Browse the multitude of La Jolla art galleries in the village
A sure sign of summer, the San Diego Junior Lifeguards spent Monday training at Scripps Park in front of La Jolla Cove Suites. The whole city is proud of this rigorous lifeguarding program, which teaches our youth beach safety, ocean and wave education, area familiarity, first aid and CPR, water rescue techniques, and fitness. Despite the physical and mental demands of the program, each summer session is in hot demand and fills up within hours of its posting. Every session culminates in an (optional) jump off of the Ocean Beach Pier, which always makes local news. Way to go, Kids, we are so proud of you!